Does your Wastewater Plant or Operations Center staff need UST Training?
Wastewater treatment plants (WWP) and waste or wastewater services (WWS) operations centers typically have at least one underground storage tank (UST). These tanks hold petrol products like waste oil, vehicular diesel, emergency generator diesel, and unleaded gasoline. That’s why it’s required by the state of Florida that every facility with an UST have certified staff to handle and maintain the tanks. USTs require special knowledge and attention because they hold poisonous substances that could contaminate our drinking water if handled improperly. Owners, operators, and emergency personnel must be certified for the correct UST training to handle and maintain underground storage tanks. What classes do you need? How many do you need? Where do you go to take the courses? All of these questions and more are answered on this page.
Who at the wastewater services center needs UST Certification?
The following staff may need to be certified:
- Wastewater Operator
- Plant Operator
- Field Supervisor
- Wastewater Operations Technician
- Lead Maintenance Supervisor
- Utilities Coordinator
- Wastewater Maintenance Mechanic
- Public Utilities Director
- Distribution System Supervisor
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel.
Why should wastewater services employees have UST training?
Your wastewater services staff needs UST training not only because it’s a Florida state requirement, but also because it’s important for their safety. Petrol products are poisonous substances, so people who deal with it need to know the safety precautions and proper ways to handle underground storage tanks. That’s where UST Class C Operator training comes handy. Without training, your staff can get injured and emergencies can cause fuel to leak and contaminate our drinking water. Not to mention, you could cost the company thousands of dollars for cleanup if a spill happens at your facility. You can get your entire staff certified easily with our Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
How many of these do I need to buy?
As required by the state of Florida, you will need to purchase at least two courses: UST Class A/B course and UST Class C course. The primary owner of the facility takes the A/B class and the designated emergency handler takes the C class. The Class A/B operator cannot be the Class C operator. This is because the Class C person needs to be someone that is solely responsible for responding to emergency situations whenever the Class A/B person is not on site at the facility. That’s why we also highly suggest that you certify more than one employee for Class C Operator Training. You never know when your only Class C person won’t show up for work. Getting your whole staff certified for UST C training is easy, fast, and affordable using our Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the wastewater facility?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your facility to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the facility safe!
- Are people allowed to take these UST training at the wastewater plant?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our facility gets pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
UST Certification offers the most innovative, top-of-the-line online course so that you don’t have to spend your hard-earned dollars on a boring certification course. Our courses make an impact on our students because we take the time and effort to make it stand out among others! We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!