Does your Truck/Bus Depot staff need UST Training?
Your truck or bus depot may have an on-site gas pump. If it does, then it also has an underground storage tank (UST) where fuel and other petroleum products are stored. Places with a tank must have UST Training to comply with the law. Florida state laws require the primary owner to get Class A/B Operator certification and require the designated emergency handler to get Class C Operator certification. The Class C Operator can be any general employee that you trust to handle emergencies. Realistically, it’s a great idea to get all personnel Class C certified in the event that the designated person does not show up for work for any reason. After all, gasoline and other petroleum products are poisonous substances. Failing to have certified personnel could cost you big time. You could face violations, hefty fines, and possible legal actions if something goes wrong during emergency situations like spills or fires. Where do you go to get training? How many of these courses do you need? When do I need to get certified? All of these questions are answered here!
Who needs UST Training at a Truck/Bus Depot?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- System Support Operations Manager
- Depot/Warehouse Managers
- Line or Branch Manager
- Facilities Technician
- Supply Technician
- Depot Operations Supervisor
- Depot Assistants
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel.
Why should Truck/Bus Depots have UST certification?
Your depot staff shouldn’t take this UST Training course just because it’s required by the state of Florida. You should also take it because it’s for the safety of everyone and the environment, so it’s the right thing to do! Your staff needs to know how to mitigate emergency situations properly. Improper procedures and techniques can actually exacerbate the situation. That’s why there’s UST Class C training for the designated emergency responder. It can be taken by any employee who is not the primary owner or manager of the depot. We highly recommend getting your entire staff trained because there needs to be one Class C Operator on site at the facility whenever the Class A/B–the owner–is not around. Personal days, sick days, and family emergencies happen to employees, too. That’s why having an entire Class C-certified staff ensures that your depot is always in compliance and is safe should an emergency arise.
How many of these do I need to buy?
There’s only two types of UST certification courses and you are required to have at least one of each. Primary owners of underground storage tank facilities must have UST Class A/B certification. They must also designate at least one person to handle emergencies. This emergency handler is called the Class C Operator who would take the other training course for UST Class C certification. In order to be compliant in the state of Florida, UST facilities must have either the Class A/B Operator or the Class C Operator or both at the facility at all times. This is because there needs to be at least one person that knows how to deal with emergency situations like spills, leaks, and fires. For that reason, we also highly suggest that you get your entire staff certified for the Class C operator course. You never know when someone can’t make it into work one day, and you don’t want to leave an UST facility without someone there who knows how to handle emergencies. Luckily, with our Business Account Management (BAM) tool, you can save big by purchasing the UST Class C Operator Training course in bulk.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the depot?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your depot to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the depot safe!
- Are people allowed to take UST training at the depot?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our depots get pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
UST Certification is your newest UST training provider! We have the most innovative and top-of-the-line class that you don’t want to miss. We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!