Does your Police or Fire Station need UST Training?
Because police stations and fire departments have their own vehicles on site, there’s a high chance that there’s also an on-site fuel pump. It’s also likely that your station uses emergency diesel fuel to fuel emergency power generators in order to keep the facility up and running in case of power outages. Vehicular diesel and emergency generator diesel are stored in underground storage tanks (USTs). These tanks need special attention and very specific training to maintain them and to handle anything that goes wrong with them. After all, petroleum products are poisonous substances. That’s why the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) requires UST facilities to have certified and trained staff.
Who needs UST Training at a Police or Fire station?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Police officers
- Chief of Police
- Fire Chief
- Director of Public Safety
- Fleet Service Specialist
- Pipeline Technicians
- Fire and Security Technicians
- Central Station Operator
- Field Operator
- Maintenance Supervisor
- Engineering Supervisor
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel.
Why should Police and Fire Stations have UST training?
UST certification training is required by the state, but do you know the other reasons why your station should have UST training? The risks of having an underground storage tank full of petroleum products are emergencies, such as gas spills, leaks, broken equipment and fires. You might be thinking, “We already know how to handle fires.” And that’s great, but do you know what the state’s protocol is for reporting alarm warnings on tank monitors? This is an example of the specific things you’d learn in our Class C Operator course. You want your police or fire station to be in compliance at all times with UST training. Otherwise, you risk getting a violation with hefty fines and possible injuries. Your crew can never be too prepared for anything. Having an additional safety course, such as Class C training, can help refresh memories.
How many of these do I need to buy?
Following the state requirement, you only need to buy one of each course. There is the Class A/B Operator training course and there is the Class C Operator training course. But why stop there? You should get your entire crew certified for the Class C training certification. Here’s why. Whenever the Class A/B Operator isn’t physically at the station, it’s the Class C Operator’s responsibility to look after the place at ALL times. And who’s to say that the primary Class C person will show up every time? Personal emergencies and sick days happen, too. This is why you should get the entire crew certified. It’s quick, easy and affordable when you use our Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the station?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your station to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the station safe!
- Are people allowed to take these courses at the station?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our station gets pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
UST Certification is your newest and most exciting UST training provider! We know how busy you guys are and want to thank you for your service. Our online courses are far from boring. We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!