Does your Mass Transit Station staff need UST Training?
Mass transit stations might have on-site fuel stations or other petrol products to keep their motor vehicles up and running. If this is the case with your mass transit station, then there’s a good chance that you have an underground storage tank (UST) to maintain. USTs need special attention and the right knowledge to ensure that nothing goes wrong. For this reason, the state of Florida requires any facility with a UST to have UST A/B and C certification training. Without it, you risk violations, hefty fines, and even injuries. But where do you get these courses? And how many do you need? These questions and more are answered on this page.
Who needs UST Training at a Mass Transit station?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Transportation Operations Manager
- Transportation Security Officer
- Transportation Dispatcher
- Transit Supervisor
- Line Service Technicians
- Maintenance Technicians
- Bus Operators
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel.
Why should Mass Transit Stations have UST training?
Obviously, you should have UST training because it’s a state requirement set by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. However, it’s also important to understand that UST certification is primarily for the safety of your staff, transit riders, and the environment. The training is meant to teach you and your staff the proper safety measures and techniques on how to handle underground storage tanks if an emergency occurred. Common emergencies that could happen would be gas leaks, spills, broken equipment, and even fires. It’s vital that your entire staff be certified to take care of these situations. Otherwise, your transit station could go up in flames injuring several people, including staff members and transit riders.
How many of these do I need to buy?
This is one of the most common questions that we get. According to the state requirement, you need at least one Class A/B certified person and one Class C certified person for a total of two courses. These two courses cannot be taken by the same person because the Class C Operator is the one who needs to be at the facility at all times whenever the Class A/B Operator–the owner–isn’t physically available at the transit station. Let’s be real. When would the owner be at the transit station at all times? It’s highly unlikely that that happens. In fact, this is why we think you need to certify all transit staff members for the Class C training course. It’s quick, easy, and best of all, it’s affordable using our Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the transit station?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your station to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the station safe!
- Are people allowed to take these courses at the station?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our station gets pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
It’s probably not a surprise to you that people tend to remember things that they learn when it’s taught in an engaging way. UST Certification is your newest UST training provider and we’re here to keep you awake through the course! We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!