Does your Marina need UST Operator Training?
Because marinas are used to store small, recreational boats, the facility might have its own gas pump on site that’s readily available for them to use. It’s smart; no doubt! So if your marina has its own gas pump, you are required to have UST certification training because gas pumps get their fuel from an underground storage tank. This training is meant for owners and operators of USTs so that they know how to maintain their tanks. UST training is also meant for the designated person to handle emergencies regarding these tanks. This designated person can be any general employee, such as a store clerk or front desk receptionist. What happens if you’re not certified? Where can you get certified? All of your questions can be answered below!
Who needs UST Training at a Marina?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Marina owners
- Marina directors
- Marina dock masters
- Marina office managers
- Designated on-site marina emergency handlers
Please note: this list does not encompass everyone who needs to get certified. Check with your company to see if there’s any other managerial-level employees that need to get certified as well. However, we highly recommend having several A/B- and C-certified personnel. After all, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
Why should Marinas get UST training?
You already know that it’s required by the state to have UST certification training, so why else should your marina have certified staff? The short answer is: SAFETY. Since marinas are on the water, it’s extremely important to know if there’s something wrong with your underground storage tank. Florida’s drinking water actually comes from underground. Imagine if there were a gas leak beneath that you couldn’t see. This would contaminate the water that people are drinking and YOU can get in a lot of trouble. State inspectors would give you violations, hefty fines, and you could possibly end up in a law suit. But all of this could be avoided if you take an easy and short UST certification operator training course!
How many of these do I need to buy?
You’ll need to get at least 2 certification courses. One of them is the Class A/B Certification course and the other is the Class C Certification course. These two cannot be taken by the same person. This is because the Class C Operator will need to be present whenever the Class A/B owner or operator is not around at the facility. After all, Class C Operators handle emergency situations. They need to be at the facility in case a spill or leak happens. Even the tiniest spill or gas leak can burst into raging flames! If you want to reduce the risks of these situations, you should get all of your general staff certified for Class C training. It’s better to be safe than sorry! Luckily for you, we offer generous discounts for bulk orders on UST Class C certification through our business account management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the marinas?
You should keep the certificates of the completion in a file cabinet or other safe area that you’ll remember. You need to keep them for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show UST inspectors when they come to your facility to check if you’re in compliance with state regulations.
- Do any of the dock workers have to take this course?
If the dock workers are also supposed to handle UST-related emergency situations, such as a fire or gas leak, then yes. We recommend having all dock workers certified as Class C Operators.
- Are people allowed to take these courses at the marina?
Yes! We made the course so that anyone can take it from anywhere and at anytime. Take it on a smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Marinas can be chaotic with customers. Do marina staff have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! Your staff can break up the time however they’d like. The course will pick up right where they left off. It’s so easy and convenient!
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both our UST Class A/B and UST Class C courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
Don’t settle for a boring course! We’ve made our course with some pizzazz! With innovative technology, UST Certification tries to take a serious topic and make it as entertaining as possible while sticking to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Here are some more perks of getting certified with us!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!