Does your Hotel staff need UST Certification?
There’s a great chance that your hotel staff will need UST Certification training. If your hotel has an emergency power generator fueled by diesel, then your hotel also has an underground storage tank. USTs are used to store fuel and other petroleum products. There are big responsibilities that come with owning a storage tank. That’s why UST Certification training is required by the state of Florida. We know how important it is to keep your hotel up and running 24/7, but what’s even more important is keeping your staff and your hotel guests safe. Primary owners of the hotel need to take the Class A/B Operator training course. They also need to designate an employee as the main emergency responder. What happens if you don’t get UST certification? Where do you go to do it? When do you need to get your hotel staff certified? All of these questions and more are answered below!
Who needs UST Training at Hotels?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Hotel maintenance team
- Reservations Manager
- Hotel Operations Manager
- Executive Housekeeper
- Maintenance Technicians
- Regional Operations Manager
- Hotel Operations Supervisor
- Director of Engineering
- Assistant Director of Engineering
- Maintenance Supervisor
- Assistant Facilities Maintenance Manager
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel for emergency and safety reasons.
Why should Hotels have UST Certification?
You already know that UST Certification training is required by law, so why else should hotels have this training? Diesel fuel and other petroleum products are poisonous substances. This is why you should have a well-trained hotel staff. If they don’t know how to handle emergency situations that have to do with your tank, then there could be severe consequences. Just imagine that a fire breaks out at the hotel and the owner isn’t there to handle it. This is where the Class C Operator would come in. In fact, this is where we would recommend having more than one Class C Operator. This could be any employee, including front desk receptionists. They would be responsible for using the emergency shutoff button to stop the fuel from flowing and overflowing. If you fail to have certified staff, then it could lead to costly and deadly results. Getting everyone trained is quick, easy, and affordable, especially when you take advantage of our exclusive Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
How many of these do I need to buy?
You are required by the state of Florida to have one Class A/B Operator and one Class C Operator. These certified people cannot be the same person so that’s why you need to buy a minimum of two courses—the Class A/B course and the Class C course. The primary owner of the facility must take the Class A/B course and the designated emergency handler should take the Class C course. The Class C course can be taken by any employee, such as a receptionist or store clerk. However, we highly recommend having your entire hotel staff trained for UST Certification training as Class C Operators. After all, you want your facility to be safe at all times, right? Having a well-trained staff can make a big difference between your facility going up in flames and your facility staff handling a small spill. Not to mention, whenever the primary owner is not available on site, then the Class C Operator must be at the facility to ensure that there’s one person certified to handle emergencies. Getting your entire hotel staff trained for UST Certification is smart, easy and affordable, especially when you buy in bulk using our exclusive Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the hotel?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your hotel to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the hotel safe!
- Are people allowed to take these courses at the hotel?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our hotels get pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
Don’t waste your hard-earned money on a boring online class! Take our innovative, top-of-the-line online class. UST Certification is your newest UST training provider! We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!