Do the Mechanical Engineers or maintenance staff at your hospital need UST Training?
Probably. More likely than not, your hospital houses at least one emergency power generator. These are used in case there’s a power outage at the hospital and vital for emergency backup situations. If the power goes out, doctors and nurses who are working on patients are deeply affected as well as patients who are on life support. Emergency power generators use fuel for energy. This also means that there’s an underground storage tank at the facility to store fuel and other petroleum products. So, any facility that has an UST needs staff to be trained and certified to handle these tanks. What happens if your staff doesn’t have trained UST operators? When does hospital staff need to be trained? Is it easy to get UST training? All of the answers to your questions are below!
Who needs UST Training at a Hospital?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Auxiliary Operators
- Facilities Operations Managers
- Facilities Director
- Facilities Technician
- Mechanical Engineers
- Command Center Operators
- Utility Plant Operators
- Maintenance Directors
- All other designated staff who are responsible for emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel for emergency and safety reasons.
Why should hospitals have UST training?
Hospitals need to have trained staff not only because it’s required, but also because it reduces the risks for environmental and health concerns. Underground storage tank training provides your staff with the necessary knowledge that they will use when an emergency situation occurs, such as spills, leaks, and fires. Even small gas leaks and spills can lead to huge fires. UST courses will teach your staff what to do if they suspect that there’s any kind of release, broken components, or maintenance issues. This very simple and easy training can save thousands of dollars in property damage, millions of dollars in law suits, and it can even save someone’s life. Getting certified is the smart thing to do. It’s quick, easy & WORTH IT!
How many of these do I need to buy?
Good question! The short answer is that you are required to have a minimum of 2 certification courses. One course is for primary owners/operators or management of UST sites and the other one is for the primary emergency handler. Note that the primary owner or operator cannot also be the primary emergency handler. This is because there needs to be one Class C Operator on site when the Class A/B Operator is not at the facility. That’s why you need to have a minimum of 2 certification courses. However, we highly recommend having at least 2-3 Class A/B Operators and at least 3-4 Class C Operators. After all, owners/operators and managers are busy people who can’t always be around the office and other employees take sick days, so having more than one person that’s certified in each class can be a huge benefit. You need at least one of each: Class A/B Certification and Class C Certification. Let’s go over these briefly! Getting your entire hospital staff certified for UST training is smart, easy and affordable, especially when you buy in bulk using our exclusive Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary managers, owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for the daily operation and handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the hospital?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your hospital to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the hospital safe!
- Are people allowed to take UST training at the hospital?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our hospital gets pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
Listen up! We try to make the best online UST courses using the most innovative technology and a modern design on the market. Would you rather spend money on a course that’s boring or a course with some pizzazz!? UST Certification is your newest course provider! We actually want people to learn the material and remember it, so we decided to make our course interactive. We try to take a serious topic and make it entertaining all while keeping the integrity of strict state requirements set by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Here are some more perks of getting certified with us!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!