Does your Fuel Distributor staff need UST Training?
Most likely, yes. Your fuel distribution staff would need to take UST certification training if there is an underground storage tank full of fuel. This training is a requirement set by the state of Florida, so failure to get UST training will result in violations and possible fines. Having a well-trained and certified staff can save you a lot of money. In the training, your staff will learn how to properly handle emergency situations, such as fuel leaks, spills, broken equipment, fires and more. If these emergencies are handled improperly, your staff can get hurt and your facility could go up in flames. Here, we answer some common questions about UST certification training.
Who needs UST Training at Fuel Distributor Companies?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Fuel supplier owner
- Fuel supplier manager
- Fuel center clerks
- Fuel system maintenance supervisor
- CDL Drivers
- Maintenance Technicians
- Service delivery managers
- Warehouse distribution coordinator
- Warehouse administrative assistant
- Fuel distribution system mechanic
- Fuel distribution system operators
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel for emergency and safety reasons.
Why should Fuel Distribution staff have UST training?
Not only is it required by law, but it’s also important for the safety of everyone, including staff and CDL drivers (imagine a fire breaking out from a fuel leak!). Fuel distribution staff specifically needs UST training because there are underground storage tanks at these facilities that store fuel for diesel trucks. If an emergency situation occurs and the distribution staff are untrained, then it could lead to severe consequences. Just imagine that a fire breaks out at the facility and the owner isn’t there to handle it. This is where the Class C Operator would come in. In fact, this is where we would recommend having more than one Class C Operator. This could be any general employee. They would be responsible for using the emergency shutoff button to stop the fuel from flowing and overflowing. If you fail to have certified staff, then it could lead to costly and deadly results. You can avoid these catastrophes by simply getting UST certification for your fuel distributions team.
How many of these do I need to buy?
We know it can be a bit confusing to determine how many of these things you need, so we’re here to help. You technically need only two. At least one person will need to take the Class A/B Operator Training Course and another will need to take the Class C Operator Training Course. However, buying only two and having only two certified personnel could put you at risk for violations and emergency situations. Whenever the owner (Class A/B Operator) isn’t at the physical location, the Class C person takes over all emergency-related responsibilities regarding underground storage tanks. Personal emergencies happen, too, so you never know for sure whether the designated Class C person can make it into work. That’s why you should have more than one person to handle emergencies. Otherwise, you’re at risk for a violation for not having at least one certified employee at the facility. The more Class C Operators that you have, the safer you will be! Plus, you’ll receive a generous discount on bulk orders with our exclusive Business Account Management tool. Get your fuel distributor center employees UST training now!
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the fuel distribution center?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your center to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the place safe!
- Are people allowed to take these courses at the fuel distribution center?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our centers get pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
Take our innovative, top-of-the-line online class. Don’t settle for anything less. UST Certification is your newest UST training provider! We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!