Does your Fleet Management staff need UST Training?
Because fleet management facilities keep and store commercial vehicles, they often have an on-site gas pump for their convenience. If your fleet has an on-site gas pump, then congratulations! You have an underground storage tank. This means that your fleet staff needs UST certification to meet the state requirements. Having certified staff reduces the risks for emergency situations like leaks and fires at your fleet management station. Owners and operators need to take a state-approved UST A/B training course in order to comply with state regulations. Employees that are designated to handle emergency situations when owners and operators aren’t there at the facility need to take UST C training. But where do you go to get training? How many of these courses do you need? What happens if you or your staff don’t get certified? All of these questions are answered right below! It could save you a lot of stress from violations, law suits, and hefty fines!
Who needs UST Training at a Fleet facility?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Fleet owners and operators
- Fleet administration and/or shop managers
- Fleet maintenance managers
- Equipment managers
- Operations managers
- Service managers
- Area managers
- Designated on-site fleet emergency responders
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel.
Why should Fleet stations have UST training?
It’s a no-brainer that you should get your staff certified as UST operators. Not only is it required in the state of Florida, but it’s also the moral choice in terms of safety for everyone and for the environment. If your staff isn’t certified and a fire breaks out from a gas spill, then it could cost you big bucks from property damage, cleanup and even law suits from injury or a civilian’s death. Even the smallest of leaks can combust into huge flames. Yikes! Fleet stations are at huge risk because of all the gasoline used to fill up commercial vehicles. You can reduce these risks by simply getting your staff certified very quickly.
How many of these do I need to buy?
You need a minimum of 2 certification courses. The Class A/B Operator training course is for primary owners and operators of USTs. The Class C Operator training course is for the primary person who is in charge of emergency situations when the Class A/B Operator is not on site at the facility where the tank is stored. However, we highly recommend that you get the entire staff certified. What happens if the primary emergency handler can’t make it into work while the owner is away from the fleet facility as well? You want to have more than one Class C Operator in these situations because at least one operator needs to be on site. Luckily, we offer discounts on bulk purchases for the Class C course using our business account management tool!
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the fleet station?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your facility to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the fleet station safe!
- Are people allowed to take UST training at the fleet facility?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our fleet stations get pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
Let’s take a survey! Would you rather spend your hard-earned money on a boring online class or an innovative, top-of-the-line online class? We’ll assume the latter. UST Certification is your newest UST training provider! We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!