Does your Cruise staff need UST Training?
There’s likely an emergency power generator that uses emergency diesel in case a power outage happens on your cruise. Because diesel and other petroleum products are poisonous substances, they need to be kept safe and stored in an underground storage tank (UST). USTs require special attention because they keep fuel from leaking into the water that we drink. This is why the state of Florida requires that any facility with an underground storage tank has certified staff on board to ensure that emergencies can be taken care of properly and in a timely manner. We know there might be several questions running through your mind, including where and when to get your certification. All of your questions are answered here.
Who needs UST Training on a Cruise Line?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Cruise director
- General managers
- Deck officer
- Engineering officer
- Marine operations coordinator
- Marine and technical operations team
- Automation operator
- Junior mates
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel.
Why should Cruise Line staff have UST training?
Imagine this: You’re on a cruise and you see a gas leak. What do you do? Surely you’d tell your supervisor, but that really isn’t the first thing you or your staff should do according to the state of Florida. If you or your staff don’t know how to handle these situations or end up handling them improperly, it could make the situation worse. This is especially true on cruise ships because it’s not easy to pull over to the side and fix the issue. That’s why it’s extra important to have your entire cruise staff certified for Class C certified training. We’ll teach your staff how to recognize petroleum hazards, how to respond to alarm warnings, and how to respond to emergency situations. Getting everyone certified for UST training is the smart and the right thing to do. It’s also very easy and affordable with our exclusive Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
How many of these do I need to buy?
Florida requires that you have at least two certifications. One is the UST Class A/B Certification course and the other one is the UST Class C Certification course. The primary owner of the cruise line facility needs to take the Class A/B course. The designated emergency handler has to take the Class C course. Unfortunately, these classes can’t be taken by the same person. That’s because whenever the owner (or Class A/B Operator) is busy running around, it’s the Class C Operator’s responsibility to takeover the facility and keep an eye on the storage tank for emergencies. This is why we suggest getting your entire cruise staff certified. You can never be too safe when it comes to your staff and cruise ship guests. To ensure that everyone has a great time, get your crew trained for UST Class C Operator training. You can save time and money by buying in bulk using our Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates in the cruise ship?
We wouldn’t recommend keeping the certificates on the cruise ship. Instead, keep them in a file cabinet at the main office where your cruise line is normally housed when unused. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your office to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the station safe!
- Are people allowed to take UST training on the cruise?
Yes! Make sure you have internet connection. Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- It gets very hectic on the cruise. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
It’s easy to forget things that bore you. That’s why UST Certification is here to make sure that you stay awake while you learn everything you need to know about USTs. We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!