Does your Airport staff need UST Training?
The odds that your airport staff need UST Training are very high. Airports need jet fuel to pump into the planes to make them fly and on-site fuel pumps are typical at these locations. They keep this fuel in an underground storage tank. In the state of Florida, if your facility has a tank, then you are required to have UST Training. After all, fuel and other petroleum products are considered poisonous substances and failure to have a certified staff can result in violations, hefty costs, law suits, and even deaths. Where can you get UST certified? How long does it take? Which classes do I need? All of these questions and more are addressed below.
Who needs UST Training at an Airport?
The staff that may be required to take a UST certification course are:
- Hub Maintenance Coordinator
- Technical Operations Coordinator
- Aircraft maintenance technicians
- Line service technicians
- Ground equipment and facilities teams
- All other staff that are primarily responsible for initial response to emergencies
Please note: the list does not include ALL personnel who need to get certified. However, we highly recommend having several A/B and C certified personnel.
Why should Airports have UST training?
We don’t mean to be so frank, but without a properly certified staff, your airport could end up in flames. Jet fuel isn’t a substance that you should play with. That’s why having a well-trained staff is important. Class C Operators are designated to handle emergency situations, such as spills and leaks. Even the smallest spill or leak can combust into huge flames. Our Class C Training course will teach your staff step-by-step instructions on how to mitigate such situations. Without training, your staff and other civilians could get hurt from emergency situations that could lead to deaths. You can also face law suits and costly environmental cleanups if they are not handled properly. Get your staff certified for UST Training.
How many of these do I need to buy?
The answer is simple. You only really need to buy two certification courses and there are only two different kinds out there. You are required to have one of each. One is the UST Class A/B certification training course and the other one is the UST Class C certification course. We suggest all owners, managers, and top managerial-level employees to take the A/B course while all other general employees take the C course. Although you are required to have only one of each, you should make sure that your entire staff be certified. Class C Operators are required to man the facility whenever the Class A/B Operator is absent. Plus, having more than one Class C employee ensures that your facility is safe and compliant in the event that the main Class C employee is also absent from work. Getting your entire staff certified is the smart thing to do and it’s affordable, especially when you buy in bulk using our Business Account Management (BAM) tool.
- UST Class A/B Certification Course – This course is for the primary owner or operator of a facility with an underground storage tank. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
- UST Class C Certification Course – This course is for the primary person who is responsible for handling emergency situations when the Class A/B operator is not on site at the facility. You need at least 1 of these certification courses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where am I supposed to put the certificates at the airport?
We recommend keeping all certificates of the completion in a file cabinet with other important paperwork or other safe area for as long as each certified person is working there. You’ll need these to show state UST inspectors when they come to your airport to check for compliance.
- How many times do I need to take this course?
Only once. However, if you get a violation then you must take this course again. We highly recommend getting your staff certified every year to refresh their memories on how to keep the airport safe!
- Are people allowed to take these courses at the airport?
Yes! Our course is designed to be mobile friendly and easy to use for your convenience. You can take it on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Our airport gets pretty busy. Do I have to take the course all in one sitting?
Nope! This course is meant to be easy and fit around your schedule, so if something interrupts you, then you can stop the course at any time. It’ll pick up right where you left off.
- When do I need to take the UST Certification course?
Top managerial-level employees, such as owners/operators, need to take the A/B Course within 30 days of taking the job. However, general employees that handle emergency situations need to take the C Course BEFORE taking the job and assuming their duties.
- I need courses that are approved by the DEP. Are you guys approved by them?
Yes! Both of our UST courses are 100% approved by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. See for yourself! We are listed as 1st Choice Gassy Tanks.
UST Certification is your #1 UST Training Provider!
At UST Certification, we have innovated a top-of-the-line online class so that you don’t have to spend your hard-earned dollars on a boring certification course. UST Certification is your newest UST training provider! We make things better by keeping the course engaging and entertaining all while adhering to strict Florida state requirements set by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Check out some of our perks below!
- Take it on your smartphone – take the course anywhere, anytime on your smartphone, laptop, or tablet!
- Break up the course however you’d like – Busy? We understand Start & stop the course whenever.
- Engaging & Interactive – our course keeps you awake with activities throughout the course.
- Free certificate download – your certificate of completion will be ready immediately after you pass!